In the 18th century, the cathedral had a carillon with 39 bells. Today, the tower contains only 3 bells.
1540: An order is placed by the Chaprter of Saint-Bavo's for the installation of 10 bells.
1636: Monsignor Antoon Triest (1621-1657) installs a new carillon with 25 bells in the cathedral tower.
1725: Except for 2 bells, Monsignor Philippus-Erard van der Noot.
(1694-1730) orders the refound of the carillon into 39 bells.
1797: The carillon bells are put out of order by the French. As soon as the bell robbery stops, the bells are given up by the church as a compensation for the payment that the French called out.
1803: Final sale of the bells.
Today: the cathedral tower contains 7 bells.
1. Bavo: (Gis-0) Weight 5.500 kg ; diameter 1,94m. This, patched up, bass bell originates form the old carrilon (1636).
2. Maria: (Ais-0) Weight 4.000 kg ; founded by Delcourt in 1636 ; bell of the original carillon.
3. Koormisklok: (g-1) Founded by Pauwels, this bell was part of the 18th century carillon.
4. Angelusklok: (a-1) Weight 485 kg ; founded by Pauwels, this bell was part of the 18th century carillon
5. Anonymous: (cis-2) Founder anonymous ; bell has no date in it.
6. Carolus: (fis-2) Weight 800 kg.
Inscription front side:
JESUS CHRISTUS SALVATOR MUNDI DUX VITAE MORTUUS REGNAT VIVUS
TER VROME GEDACHTENIS VAN MGR KAREL-JUSTINUS CALLEWAERT
27STE BISSCHOP VAN GENT 1948-1963
ME FEC FR SERGEYS ET J FILIUS EJUS LOVANII 1964
7. Anonymous: b-2) Dates from 1958, founded by Horacantus-Eijsbouts